20070517

Switching to Digital Communications

So, I promised that I would post some newer going-ons about what's happening in Kiel. I have an offer to change my course of study from Informatik (read: computer science, not your local IT department) to Digital Communications (once an engineer always an engineer).

There are a couple of key benefits for me here, the first being that the M.Sc. in Digital Communications is all taught in English. Now, don't get me wrong - I don't want to give you the impression that I'm flaking out because all of my courses at the moment are in German. I really like the courses that I'm taking in Informatik, those which are related to my field of study. In general, however, I've found that Informatik is a bit on the boring and theoretical side. I'm an electrical guy - I actually like to get my hands dirty and _apply_ my knowledge once in a while.

The other major reason why I chose to switch is because having a full time job _and_ studying for a graduate degree is _incredibly_ draining. I ended up having stress-related health problems about a month ago. Since then I made the decision to not kill myself by working too hard. This also means that I've cut down my course load and applied for the DigiComm program. I tend to work about 20 to 30 hours per week. If you add the number of lecture hours I have on top of that, as well as approximately 1-5 times the amount of time required for native-German speakers to study, it adds up to quite a lot.

I'm looking forward to the change.

No comments: